I typically avoid using drugs for merely relieving or suppressing symptoms.
There's a lot to say on this topic, including
- wanting to experience the consequences of my choices
- making sure I still have a signal of something that might be wrong (instead of risking greater injury)
- creating a dependence on pharmaceuticals
- when I will take drugs
- the connection to not numbing emotions
- uncalibrated emotions and "chemical imbalance"
- connection to depression
- connection to medical causation