Why does physical fitness occupy such a prominent place in my life? And how does my concern with physical fitness manifest and relate to other values?
This page is a stub, created on 2020-04-20. Its contents are notes on the issues and angles I want to address about this topic.
I imagine that this will likely end up being a whole section of examining physical fitness from different angles. My immediate purpose is to go into a bit of detail about why physical fitness occupies such a prominent place in my life and exactly how it manifests.
Here are a few areas I'd like to explore:
- media imagery: the role of cartoon depictions of superheroes and developmental concepts of masculinity
- consistency and integration: developing not only the mind, but also the body
- the body as a work of art (functional "versus" aesthetic goals)
- connection to physical health
- self-esteem versus second-handed approval-/attention-seeking
- shirtlessness: feeling sexy versus feeling wanted; pride versus flaunting
- the rebellion against shame triggers
- simultaneous feelings of pride and revulsion when looking in the mirror
- the role of my genetics in why achieving fitness goals is so rewarding
- social stigma against judging / concern with the physical: "even deep waters have a surface"
- terms like "narcissism" and "vanity"